Arts For Social and Economic Impact

 

THE CREATIVITY THAT IS ARTS




While the Arts have and continue to play an important role globally, in curriculums of most Developing Countries in Africa, Arts is undermined. In Malawi, for instance the success of students has mostly been measured by classroom credit hours in other subjects but Arts.

My passion for Arts began 20 years ago when I was in primary school. I remember loving music and dance. Among all my friends, I was well known as the dancer.  When I was 10 years old, I loved the Congolese genre of music called Rhumba. Rhumba was the music. The beat in rhumba felt like nothing else.

I grew up in church. When I was in secondary school, I envied the choir members at our local church. I was curious to know what made the jazzmen and vocalists unique. Why they were able to make music while the rest of us couldn’t?  The piano players were always my favorite.  Somehow, at the age 15 my ears had already learnt to distinguish a good pianist from a not so good one. My mind had already started creating rhythms of how I thought every song should go. My mind produced some really good music I must say.

Growing up I did not know how to express myself as a result I ended up being the shyest one among my friends in school. Later I figured that if I learnt music, I was going to be able to express myself better.

After I was accepted to pursue my studies at the University of Malawi, I listed music as one of the courses. My parents discouraged me from pursuing music. They believed that there was no future in music and it was only going to be a distraction from studying “the real courses”.

     
I don’t blame my parents. Society has viewed arts as nothing but a sideline. In this side of the world, one is not expected to have their life rest solely on the arts. This way you will be labelled jobless. I still attempted to venture into music. In 2008, I recorded a song tittled Dzuka (Wake Up). The song enjoyed airplay on one of the local radio stations in one of the cities in Northern Malawi. I later recorded another song with one artist from the same city. It felt that I belonged to music but I was restricted. I couldn't go on.

Back in 2010, I aspired to take guitar lessons. 13 years later, I have begun living the dream. The dream is to play piano. The bigger dream is to see Young people grow their artistic skills. To see the arts industry grow and to see young people learn and embrace the art of creative entrepreneurship.

Throughout my years of work, I have come to learn that Malawian communities are a hub of creativity and talents (including fine arts, performing arts and crafts).  I believe that one way to deal with youth unemployment is to empower the youth to develop creative thinking skills through arts thereby shaping a creative, flexible, and entrepreneurial society.  I believe that creativity is an asset for our young people especially at the stage when a whole range of opportunities exists. When there is room for creativity and growth.

I long to see our societies Malawi highlight the importance of Arts and embrace Arts for Social and economic impact.

That is why my I am more passionate about establishing arts and creativity programs for youth. 

If you're interested to partner or have more ideas around such programs email me at: wpotolani@gmail.com 









Comments

  1. Where can I hear some of your music?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kindly email me via my Gmail (wpotolani@gmail.com) I can share with you some files. Unfortunately my music was never shared widely

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

UNDER THE MANGO TREE

Dealing with Intergenerational Poverty in Malawi